Exhaust system Installation Instructions
1999.5, 2000CA or 2001 VQ30 NISSAN MAXIMA I30
WARNING* You should always wear eye protection
"Should you decide to do the installation at home, be warned that car bumper jacks are intended for emergency use only. The use of frame contact jack stands in conjunction with a floor jack as main support is highly recommended to minimize accidental dropping of a vehicle during the installation process."
Make sure the battery is disconnected to allow it to re-program the computer after the install is complete.
Make sure the engine is cool to the touch before the install is started.
1. Spray nuts on exhaust manifold, catalytic converter and o2 sensor nuts with WD40 or like product giving it time to penetrate.
2. Remove the small aluminum heat shield on the front pre-cat with a 10mm socket or wrench. Remove the front and rear o2 sensors and push them out the way so as not to damage them.
3. The front pre-cat must be loosened, you will need a 10mm socket, a 6 point works best and a long extension. It helps if the engine is slightly warm. Loosen the nuts which hold it in place, they are usually pretty tight. Then remove the 3 bolts at the bottom of the front pre-cat with a 14mm socket.
4. Loosen the 3 nuts on the rear down pipe flange, a 14mm socket with a swivel and long extension works best. Remove the converter hanger bolt from the rubber grommet, it will require a 12mm socket. Then remove the nuts on the inlet end of the converter (14mm socket). Lastly remove the 2 bolts from the bracket which attaches the Y pipe to the transmission.(12mm socket)
5. Very carefully pull out the outlet end of the Y pipe off the converter studs and start to pull down on the rest of the rear of the Y pipe. If the front pre-cat is not loose enough you will not have enough slack to get it off.
6. Apply the crush gaskets to the new Y pipe and lift it in place, it usually works best to apply one of the rear down pipe nuts to hold everything in place until you have it all situated. Install the new bolts into the bottom holes of the front pre-cat and slightly tighten the nuts. Once you have it positioned you can start re-tightening the front pre-cat nuts. This tightening will lift the pipe into position better and you will then be able to tighten the rear exhaust flange nuts. Insert the provided bushing inside the rubber grommet which holds the converter bracket and then slip the Y pipe outlet flange over the studs and apply nuts. Apply the new bolt and nut through the bushing on the converter hanger (rubber grommet) and tighten loosely.
7. Re-install the o2 sensors (remember you have to pre-wind the wires as they were when you removed the sensor) (there will be anti seize on the o2 sensor inserts when you get your Y pipe).
8. Tighten all nuts, put all of your parts removed in the WSP box for storage. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN FLANGES FROM Y PIPE TO CAT, YOU WILL BEND THE FLANGES AND THEY WILL LEAK.
9. Reconnect battery.
Hardware kit for 1999.5-2001 CA emissions:
1 large crush gasket, re-use your bank 2 small gasket
1 flat fiber gasket, 1 HANGER
3 bolts, nuts and washers (for bottom of front pre-cat)
IF YOU REQUIRE TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE OR ARE MISSING PARTS CALL TOLL FREE 479-246-9400 OR EMAIL DALLAS@WARPSPEEDPERFORMANCE.COM