Exhaust system Installation Instructions
1989-94 VG/VE or 1995-99/2000 FED VQ NISSAN MAXIMA I30
WARNING* You should always wear eye protection
"Should you decide to do the installation at home, be warned that car bumper jacks are intended for emergency use only. The use of frame contact jack stands in conjunction with a floor jack as main support is highly recommended to minimize accidental dropping of a vehicle during the installation process."
Make sure the battery is disconnected to allow it to re-program the computer after the install is complete.
Make sure the engine is cool to the touch before the install is started.
1. Spray nuts on exhaust manifold, catalytic converter and o2 sensor nuts with WD40 or like product giving it time to penetrate.
2. Loosen the 6-nuts carefully on exhaust manifold flanges with a 14mm socket, retain for re-use, (there may be a stone shield attached to the stock Y pipe and you may need to remove them to get at the flange nuts.)
VQ models have a bracket which attaches to the transmission which will require the removal of 2 bolts, 12mm.
3. VQ models: Remove bolts at rear of Y pipe and retain for reuse, a 14mm wrench or socket will be required. If it looks like they are going to break off or they are real rusty it may be a good time to replace the catalytic converter as well as it would save labor expense to do so.
VG/VE models: Remove bolts and nuts and use the new provided bolts and nuts.
4. Carefully slide out stock Y pipe and very carefully remove the o2 sensor. You should not have to actually unfasten plastic connector on o2 sensor wire, you do need to be careful and protect the sensor from damage.
VQ models will require that you gently pull on the o2 sensor wire to gain some additional slack in the wire before you remove the 2 sensors.
5. Position new Y pipe onto manifold bolts to ensure fit and clearances and remove from vehicle.
6. Install the o2 sensor or sensors (remember you have to pre-wind the wires as they were when you removed the sensor) (there will be anti seize on the o2 sensor inserts when you get your Y pipe) then install the exhaust manifold flange gaskets into the flanges (2 required) they just drop in.
7. Position the Y pipe on the exhaust manifold studs and tighten the nuts loosely, it may slip on easier if the rear flange goes on first, some cars are a little different.
8. Apply the flat exhaust gasket and bolts through the rear flange and tighten loosely. Apply the catalytic converter hanger at this time through the rubber grommets and over the y pipe and loosely tighten.
9. Check position of Y pipe and ensure there is no contact with frame or stabilizer bar, if the rear of the pipe and catalytic converter is not centered follow the next step. The rubber hangers should hang straight down. Also check to make sure the other 1 (95-99) or 2 (89-94) rubber hangers are correctly aligned on your B pipe.
10. Tighten the nuts on the Y pipe and bolts in the catalytic converter flanges as well as hangers.
11. Reconnect battery.
Hardware kit for VG/VE or VQ Y pipe:
1) aluminized or stainless Y pipe assembly
2) Manifold gaskets
1) flat exhaust gasket
VG/VE kit comes with new bolts, nuts and washers
1) y pipe/catalytic converter hanger assembly
IF YOU REQUIRE TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE OR ARE MISSING PARTS CALL TOLL FREE 479-246-9400 OR EMAIL DALLAS@WARPSPEEDPERFORMANCE.COM